Homeowners that choose to install a composite deck do so after quite some deliberation. A significant amount of time is often spent deciding the types of deck boards they'd like, their colour as well as the overall deck design. However, the significance of safety is regularly overlooked as the sheer excitement of a new deck can easily take over but this shouldn't always be the case!
Here at TimberTech UK, we supply high-quality deck railing systems that not only provide an extra element of safety for your new deck but also enhance the finished look of your outdoor space. But which is best?
In this blog, we take a closer look at the two railing options we have on offer here at TimberTech UK to find out what is the best deck railing system for you.
Reasons to add a deck railing system
Before delving into the pros & cons of our two deck railing options, let's remind ourselves of the reasons why you should add one to your deck!
- Safety - First and foremost, a deck rail provides an extra layer of safety for your garden. If you have young children or pets and a raised deck that sits a few feet off the ground without a rail, you're asking for trouble. With a deck rail, you can put all of your worries and fears aside with the reassurance that your family and furry little friends will be safe at all times when playing or running on your deck.
- Aesthetics - Deck railings aren't added just to meet safety codes or increase safety value, they can also be added to improve the overall look and aesthetic of your outdoor space. Adding that much-needed finishing touch that can you've been craving. Better yet, deck rails are often available in a range of matching colours to your deck boards, so you'll never have to worry about them sticking out like a sore thumb.
- Added value - If at any time in the future you decide to sell your home, having a composite deck installed could be the difference between your property getting chosen or not. Buyers like to get value for their money, so by installing a deck complete with a rail, your home is sure to stand out amongst other similar homes which may not offer the same practicality as yours.
Our Glass Balustrade Systems
The first of the two deck railing options that you can choose from here at TimberTech UK is our glass balustrade systems!
These come in several styles, all of which complement your composite decking superbly. Choose from a glass balustrade with no handrail, with a handrail, a frameless system or a cable rail.
The benefits that you can gain from installing a glass balustrade system include:
- Space - One of the hidden benefits that you can gain from installing a glass balustrade system is an illusion of added space! This may sound weird but hear us out. With glass, your mind doesn't register that the end of your deck is where your system is, so creates the illusion that space carries out much further, something you're unable to get with a solid rail system.
- Strength - Glass balustrades are made from toughened glass for added safety, meaning our systems are extremely strong and will protect you and others from falling over the edge.
- Cleanliness - Glass balustrades are also very easy to clean. Even though you may be able to spot a smudge or fingerprint easily, these are also very simple to remove, making the maintenance of your glass rail far less of a headache.
Whilst glass balustrade systems offer several benefits, they do come with a few drawbacks. These include:
- Cleaning - Now, we know that cleanliness is one of our pros but the potential that glass carries of becoming very streaky or dirty very quickly mean this is also one of the cons of our balustrade systems.
- Price - The price of glass balustrade systems may also be seen as a negative to some homeowners. Each glass panel needs to be measured, designed on CAD and cut bespoke to your deck. This may add up to be a real expense if you have a large deck.
View Glass Balustrade Systems >
Our Impression Rails
Our impression rails are the second choice that you have within our deck railing collection.
These are made from sturdy aluminium, making them a perfect choice for your composite deck!
The benefits that you can gain from installing an impression rail include:
- Low maintenance - Since aluminium railings are naturally strong, they do not require much maintenance at all! Since they are produced with a powder coat finish that prevents them from rusting, cracking or chipping, all that is needed is an annual jet wash to keep them looking as good as new.
- Easy to install - Thanks to our impression rail's simple design, these offer a simple installation that can be carried by anybody, regardless of your experience when it comes to DIY. This is great as you won't have to worry about hiring an installer to come out and do the job for you.
- Durable - Unlike other types of deck rails which are often made from wrought iron, our aluminium railings offer a far more durable option. This is down to the high resistance to harsh weather conditions that aluminium offers! With our impression rail, you won't have to worry about warping, twisting, shrinking or rusting.
- Affordable - Despite aluminium not being the cheapest railing material on the market, it is still a pretty affordable option compared to our glass balustrades. Perfect if you're looking to finish your deck off while keeping to a budget.
Despite the overwhelming positives that you can gain from our aluminium impression rails, the negatives include:
- Limited style - The biggest downside of our impressions rails is the limitations they offer when it comes to style. These are only available in a black colour so they may be a little restricting if you have a different coloured deck.
- Easily scratched - Despite aluminium providing a more sturdy, low maintenance option compared to other deck materials, they do have the ability to be easily scratched, which can be an issue for some homeowners.
View Our Impression Rail >
And there you have it! Our deck railing systems and their pros and cons. Hopefully, this blog has helped to answer the question of what is the best deck railing system for you and had made your choice that little bit easier.
If you need more information on either of our two railing options, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with a member of the TimberTech UK team today by clicking the button below - we'd be more than happy to help!