June has given way to July, and summer's really starting to hot up here in the UK. Today is reportedly Britain's hottest day since 2006, and it doesn't look like things will be cooling down much for the foreseeable future.
From one perspective, this is fantastic news; hot weather means sunbathing, barbecue parties, and all kinds of other outdoor fun! However, as you relax on your garden deck with a drink in one hand and a trashy novel in the other, please bear in mind that hot weather can be very dangerous - if you don't take the necessary precautions, you could burn, overheat, or even worse.
With that in mind, here are TimberTech's top tips for staying safe while you enjoy the summer heat:
- Wear sun cream. A staggering number of people think that they don't need sunblock, but trust us on this one: if you're going to be out in the sun, you need to put some sun cream on first. Yes, it's a pain, but being sunburned is worse!
- Dress appropriately. It's a good idea to wear a sun hat when you're outdoors in hot weather - this will keep the sun off your face and keep you from burning. The NHS also recommend wearing cool, loose garments to keep your body temperature down.
- Stay hydrated. When enjoying the sunshine on your garden deck, be sure to keep the refreshments close at hand to avoid dehydration. Chilled soft drinks like water and juice are preferable to alcoholic beverages and hot drinks like tea and coffee.
- Consider investing in a parasol. If you're planning to spend a lot of time outdoors this summer, it may be worth purchasing a parasol or similar to provide instant shade when you need it most. Otherwise, try to stay out of direct sunlight and keep to the shade if you can.
- Don't stay out all day. Go back indoors every so often to cool off and keep yourself from overheating.
Don't have a deck? Want to make the most of this amazing weather? Click here to order a free sample of TimberTech composite decking and get your outdoor haven started today!