Here at TimberTech, we take great care to offer a wide range of high-quality decking options, suited to a variety of projects in both domestic and commercial spaces. To ensure that you make the most of your chosen product, it's essential that the deck is installed correctly in order to deliver longevity and a great-looking finish.
Here are a few of our top tips for those who are thinking of installing our composite decking themselves:
- Always keep the shallow groove (which appears on one edge of each board) consistently on the same side. The fibres of the board are directional, so this will ensure that the sun casts a consistent shadow, giving a uniform shade throughout.
- Use the CONCEALoc® bracket to fix the first and last board.
- For the neatest possible finish, pre-drill 4mm pilot holes (do not countersink).
- When face-fixing boards, drive each screw until the screw’s head is flush with the surface of the board. Do not over-drive.
- Maximum span between joists is 400mm for residential decks.
- We recommend a 3-4mm gap between boards (CONCEALoc® is designed to automatically create a 4mm gap between the boards).
- To aid water run-off, the deck should slope 13mm for every 2.44m away from the house.
These are just some brief guidelines for installing composite decking, for a more comprehensive guide visit our Deck Installation Resources page, to download our Complete Guide to Maintaining and Installing Decking and Dryspace. We also have some videos of our products in action, to give you a more vivid impression of our installation process.
If it still seems a bit too complicated or time-consuming for you to undertake yourself, remember we offer a professional decking installation service to handle the construction of your project! This service lets you sit back and relax while your deck comes to life, at the hands of our experienced team of professional installers.
For more information about any of our products or services, call us on 02920 371584, and we will advise you in more depth about the options available to you.